Sunday, April 25, 2010

Writing Topic: Chapter 51

Since last time I chose to read and write about plagarism, I figured knowing how to evaulate your sources would be a good idea. Therefore this week, I picked Chapter 51 which focuses on how to evaluate resources. First off, you have to get a well broad idea of what you are researching. You have to know what you are looking for in order to get the sources you need. Then, when browsing through all the resources that will come up, especailly online through servers, or periodicals you must pick the ones that will benefit you. Briefly read through them, evaluate the information including the source and the organization it comes from. You always want to make sure the information you are citing benefits your argument and that its a current article. Outdated articles from 20 years ago will not be a valid sources for a current topic. Also learned the difference between primary sources and secondary sources.

I found this chapter helpful and interesting as it gave great information on how to evaluate a resource. When I type in my sources into google or yahoo, thousands of related articles come up. With the information I have learned in this chapter, Im now able to narrow my searches to resources that will help me in my writting and/or argument.

No comments:

Post a Comment