Sunday, April 4, 2010

Chapter 16- Rules for Writers

I chose this chapter because I often find myself using "filler words" or uneccessary words in a sentence. The text states these words are repetitive, redundant and inflated. This chapter gave us tools, such as conside words and strong verbs to strengthen sentences without a bunch of repetetive words. I always thought that in order for a sentence to be too wordy, it must be very long. But this is not the case, any words that are just fillers or unneccessary make a sentence wordy. If you are able to condense a sentence to a more precise one, then do so.

Like I said earlier, I have a hard time constructing my sentences. I also find myself saying things like "I believe that...", which according to the text is unecessary. One of my issues is using unneccesary words just fill up space. With the help of some of the consice words given in the text along with the some of the strong verbs I hope I can better my essay the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment