Thursday, May 6, 2010

All I Asking For Is My Body, Part III, Dialogue

The Meaning of the title "All I Asking For is my Body"

Tosh, who states All I asking for is my body is not only referring to his family situation in regards to tradition but also to his personal life. Tosh, in his culture is meant to be fulfill the requirements of being a filial, in other words he is to uphold respect for his parents by repaying debt. Tosh's parents are in debt due to his grandfathers debt. Tosh's parents live almost paycheck to paycheck and are barely making ends meet. In order for Tosh to bay pack this debt it will take years. He will be unable to start his own family since he will be spending so much time repaying back the debt that was not his. And, by living on this plantation its almost impossible to pay this money back.

When Tosh says all he wants is his body, I think he is speaking about his youthfulness. He doesnt want to be 40 or 50 years old when he is ready financially to start a family. And, in order to fulfil the filial tradition this is how long it will take.

6 comments:

  1. Hi Preston,

    I like your interpretation of the title as his youthfulness. There’s definitely a sense in the story that each generation is expected to wait or put a hold on their lives in order to better the previous generation. Toshio’s grandfather is a grandfather before he’s able to return to Japan debt-free, and Toshio’s father is aging, but still waiting. You’re right that Toshio probably looks at their experiences and questions the expectation that he wait until his children are in their twenties or thirties before he can start living. Thanks for these insights!

    Lauren :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. you made a great point...I havent thought about him when he reach that age. I agree he would be so busy working and paying his parents debt off that he won't have time for his self or to start of family of his own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Preston,

    I agree with how you interpreted the meaning of the statement of "All I have is my body". I think you make the point clearly and concisely. I did like Sophays interpretation that the additional meaning of being steeped in tradition that all you have is your body. I felt that Tosh was stating that he diod not to be an old man prior to starting his own life. When he said grandfather was a crook, it almost seemed as though Tosh was saying grandfather sotle the money and his parents youth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Preston wrote: "He doesnt want to be 40 or 50 years old when he is ready financially to start a family."

    I can't imagine feeling obligated to care for my parents and siblings (because they kept having girls)and denying my own life for so long.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do agree that he isnt able to have his own life due to working to much and having no time. It will take years to pay off the debt so i think it gets frustrating to him and its affecting his body.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i agree also that the title has to do with his youthfulness! and you made me look at whats going to happen to him when he is 40 or 50 years old and still paying that debt! good job

    Niki

    ReplyDelete