Sunday, March 28, 2010

“Happy Endings,” “Obituary,” and “Oompah Loompah” Dialogue

Chose Question F, Came up with my own Question. How do you relate to the character Lovey?

Lovey grew up with a family that limited who she was and who she was going to be. She went to a school and was taught by an awfully hard up, strict, rude, restricting teacher, Mr. Harvey. She was teased by the other children, and also used defense mechanisms to tease other people like she did the sweat Japanese young girl to avoid getting teased by other classmates. She realized that her native language made her sound uneducated but didnt have the means to change it. Her family spoke it, friends and the teachers she spoke up were not helping her in a useful way, instead they were critizing her. Also, she was very close to her Grandma and reflected on her Grandma when writing their fake obituaries. There was also a part in the stories where she was given a Toni Perm which was a hilarious scene.

Lovey's experience reminds me similarly of my Fathers traditions that he strictly enforced on myself and siblings. For example, he used certain words to describe things, big words that a 7 year old had no idea what it meant. He forced us to use these words, which caused us to use them at school. But, because we werent old enough to trully understand the context of the word, we would end up using them incorrectly and our teachers would call us out on it. Also, my father made us eat certain Canadian dishes, or at least he said they were family tradition dishes that made me want to purge. Im also very close with my Grandmother, and without a doubt would include her in my obituary. The Toni Perm scene reminds me of my father who forced me to cut my hair when I was 10, and gave me a bowl cut. Literally, it looked like he took a bowl, stuck it on my head and cut around the edges. I can relate to Lovey's sarcasm also. Sometimes, when times are head its easier to make a joke out of it.

1 comment:

  1. I was definetly interested at how a young guy could relate to Lovely!! But it was really easy for you to find similarities and i enjoyed reading your response. I agree that lovely covered up her insecurities with jokes and the perm scene was hilarious, I found myself relating to that also.

    ReplyDelete