Thursday, February 4, 2010


I had the luxury of growing up in one of the most beautiful place in the world, Monterey, California. This may be a very subjective statement, but in my opinion nothing beats the lifestyle, entertainment and beauty that Monterey offers. Beaches, waves and casualness are a few words that sum out Monterey to me, and The Great Wave by the Japanese artist Katsushika Hokusai depicts that beauty. This artwork reminds me of the large waves in Monterey, especially along the wharf leading up to Lovers Point, a cliff that outlook the water.
While The Great Wave depicts excitement by the large, rushing waves, I see this artwork as calming as it reminds me of home, Monterey. The Great Wave illustrates tiny humans being tossed around in boats by the waves with Mt. Fuji in the distance. Yet, when I look at this artwork all I can picture is calmness, serenity and safeness. It reminds me of the numerous early morning runs along the wharf, listening to the waves crashing, seagulls and otters. I can literally smell the clam chowder and feel the mist in my face when I look at this painting.
Beyond being a memory to me, The Great Wave is a motivation factor in my life. I wasn’t a good student, always in trouble, made my parents lives a nightmare and didn’t have much impetus in my life. I moved to the Bay Area when I was in my later years in high school and then realized how lucky I was to have had the experience of Monterey. Although I didn’t take advantage of the magnificence of Monterey, I’m now old and wise enough to know how lucky I’ am for the experience.

6 comments:

  1. I remember this artist from my art history class! He did a series of thirty six. I can see why you referenced it in your essay. The ocean does depict calmness even though it is looming. Mt. Fuji in the background seems small to us but it is actually being framed by the waves. It is nice you used this art to tell how you felt at that time and that this represents so much to you.
    By the way, Thanks to your family for helping to save the Gravenstien apple, my fav to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your picture caught my attention. I am a huge fan of the beach and the beauty of it. Before I had my c section I made my family take me to the beach so i could relax and just listen to the waves. It helped a lot. I dont remember the Great Wave in school but your essay is a great resource to learn about it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your story. I love Monterey! I wish I could have grown up there. So your picture gave me a great idea of how it was living there. Very god details! You made me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked your story! This picture is one of my favorite pieces of art! MOnterey is a graet place to grow up! Nice details! keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't see a thesis in the beginning, but the detail is great. Your writing draws the reader in from the start. You show how it is depressing and happy simultaniously. I can almost feel your own feelings through your writing, and, correct me if I'm wrong but I believe that was the actual assignment. Good job (:

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Preston,
    Great beginning to your essay. I love monterey so much I wrote my essay about it too! You really brought out the feeling that monterey brings to you...it is almost magical. I agree with uhmpandapnts abou the thesis. Maybe it can include something about how this picture encompases your feeling of Monterey.

    ReplyDelete